Thursday, March 16, 2006

Two 50-Milers, Two Months





















I finally sent-in my entry for the Rockin' K 50-Miler (in central Kansas) that is scheduled for April 1st. Today, I'll also send in my entry for the Berryman 50-Miler that happens in late May. I haven't raced since the 100-miler nearly 6 weeks ago, so it's about time to get back at it. I'm going to camp in the Element/tent combo for both races. We should have some good Trail Nerd participation for both races. Sounds like a couple of parties to me!

The Rockin' K is a really fun course with a lot of difficult footing. It also has at least 14 water crossings that can make it tough for you to "keep your powder dry." Check out the photo of Paul crossing the last of the water crossings in 2005. The course also has features on it that make it look like the surface of the moon (or mars), including red, yellow and orange sand! Sunsceen and a hat are essential on this course; there is absolutely no shade. It's run mainly on the tall grass prairie, with multiple forays into canyons, arroyos, and up and down steep hills. Photos that I've taken: 2004 Race. 2005 Race.

The Berryman (SE Missouri) course is a rocky, rooty, and hilly course that is almost completely shaded by deep woods. It's always hot and steamy that time of year, so being out of the sun helps significantly. It's almost as though you were running in a green tunnel for the whole race. I can camp right on the start/finish line, so there's no huge scramble to get to the race start on time. Photos from 2005 race.

Both of these courses are SO different, but they are an absolute blast!!! Also, the week after Rockin' K, I get to go to Miami Beach! Can't wait.

I also need to redeem myself from last year. I severly sprained my ankle right before RK last year, and couldn't run RK...I could only take pictures. I taped the crap out of my ankle and took the marathon option at Berryman a month later. It hurt like hell. Can't wait for total redemption!

12 comments:

Breeves2000 said...

You're gettin the itch aren't you? You had such a good 100 miler and recovery, you must be chomping at the bit to continue the strong races. Good luck!

Ben, aka BadBen said...

I am definitely ready to kick some 50-mile trail butt, believe me.

Donald said...

Great pictures - it looks like a beautiful place to run.

Hey Zeus said...

I'm looking for a 50 miler is it worth the trip and where is it on the map.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Dirt,
I'll send you an e-mail with locations. Both races are worth it.

Olga said...

It looks like a blast! And it's hardly advertised - why is it we tend to know only either local or widely participated runs? Not fair! But, thanks to the word traveling around (like yours) we can put it on our "to do" list.

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Olga,
A lot of these wonderful little races (like Rockin' K) only allow 100 participants or less, because that's all the park service will allow.
Here's another "secret" race (near my old hometown of Spokane, Washtington) that I might do this year, also:
http://www.unclejoe50km.org/

Ben, aka BadBen said...

Or, you can come do my challenging little 50K race next year:
http://www.psychowyco.com/id7.html

onepinkfuzzy said...

oh, so cool!!!

Lora said...

One of the gals in my running group (Alpine Runners) did your race this year. She wrote a summary and put it on the Alpine website...I got shivers and chills reading it. Damn I wanna be able to do that one!!!!!

Rae said...

Those races look like so mcuh fun! How do you keep from chafing, etc after the deep water crossing?

Ben, aka BadBen said...

To prevent chafing, I wear the right shorts, apply Runner's Lube at the start of the race, and that's about it. Preventing feet/toe blisters with the water/sand combo takes a little bit more experience, but I usually do that very well.